You know those shows where the good guy kicks out the knee of the bad guy and then you see the bad guy writhing on his back, holding his knee in obvious pain? I know what that feels like. It ain't fun. This past week I've been home with GRI: Goat-Related Injury.
Just another typical Sunday evening except The Man was out of town on work travel. The Ladies had just been put to bed and the rest of us were heading to the Vista for a last game of fetch the soggy tennis ball. Our regular routine. In my hands I carried my green-wire egg basket which only contained the cordless phone, no eggs (again).
The next thing I know a furry body slams into my outer right knee and I'm falling down. I grab onto the closest object to break my fall and that happens to be Bitsy and one of her ears.
Now I'm lying on the ground. The dogs are licking my face and the goats are staring down at me. I guess everyone was wondering what game we were playing now. As I laid there holding my knee trying to figure out what just happened the home phone rings and The Man says, "Hey, what's going on?"
I tell him I'm lying on the gravel where the goats like to pee and he says, "Oh."
. And I had just washed my hair too.
So it's been several days of rest, ice, ACE bandage, and elevation (RICE) to my right knee. My self-diagnosis is a sprained knee (MCL injury) secondary to blunt trauma (aka Bitsy's body). Luckily I wasn't hit in the kneecap, there was no "pop", and the knee feels stable so I know I'll mend.
So here's what I learned over the past few days:
1) If I'm upstairs I'll probably need something that happens to be downstairs (and vice versa).
2) If you have all the time in the world to knit, then, after a while, it's not that much fun.
3) Discovering a knitting podcast that's about knitting and
books is a lot of fun (2 Knit Lit Chicks
, 2011- current).
4) Ignoring the message: "Danger, Will Robinson. Danger. Not enough storage." while downloading 40 episodes of a podcast onto my iPad was not
a good idea. (Phew
, I was able to overcome the iPad's Black Screen of Death.)
5) TJ Turkey corn dogs taste better cooked in the oven for 20 minutes rather than cooked for 1 minute in the microwave.
6) A sprained knee makes the heart grow fonder.
7) Don't allow the frisky knee-high Bitsy to get between me and "Get-Out-Of-My-Way-Or-I-Am-Going-To-Head-Butt-You" Zeke.
8) Carry a big stick.